What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:

What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:
After Winter Dark Campaign Setting

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Welcome to 2015!

Happy New Year to all my readers, friends, and family!

2014 for the this Blog and Arcana Creations has been an unusually busy one as a constant battle against time was waged once more.  A couple days ago, James Raggi wrote an inspirational bit about the barriers to entry in the RPG industry: Time and a computer.  I agree and time is on ongoing issue but I don't exactly regret it.

The first half of the year, I've kept busy and posted a bunch on the blog... I did some creative work with the intent of some releases for the Summer or Fall of 2014.  I also had the luxury to do some reading and I've quickly learned that, when I take the time to read I also have the energy to do so as well as engage in creative pursuits -- be it writing, editing, and layout work, or simply painting some miniatures.  The first half of the year also had me clear a bunch of stuff from my gaming collection which went a long way to paying for some of my Gen Con trip -- my first one.

With all that, I kept busy, had fun, and stuff was getting done.  However, between my day job and everything, managing all the sales I was doing up to Gen Con did take away from the writing I was actually doing on the blog.  Some would have thought it would pick up again after wards but it didn't and even the reading I did largely stopped all together after Gen Con.  The gaming material I was selling was halted and work at my 9-5 picked up leaving me drained.  A longstanding commission (paint-wise) was drawn out even more due to time restraints and complexities but at least I was still gaming semi-regularly (about 2-3 times a month).

Ironically, despite not releasing any new product in 2014, Arcana Creations actually made money thanks to its small portfolio available through the OBS services like RPGNow! and by selling off some of the remaining printed modules in stock from past C&C releases that BHP and AC produced.  While the money in question didn't amount to much and only dozens on any given title were sold at best, it was still nice to see some of those titles generating interest.

All other work continues and I've got even more material lined up for eventual release.  The hopeful Fall releases slipped but will be released in due time with a couple more surprises after that.  I'm really hoping that 2015 will be a very good year for Arcana Creations and it's looking to be a very good year (albeit busy) for me -- my wedding and another Gen Con for starters and I do hope to get reading, painting, and writing again.  Well, at least until my schedule gets bogged down as it surely will about 6 months in.  ;)

Of course, I do have about 5 drafts of articles that need finishing up so, as usual, there will be a lot more activity here in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for reading!

M

No comments:

Post a Comment